Training To Run Faster Using Mastermind Group
What is a “mastermind” group and what does it have to do with training to run faster?
Before I show you the ways to run faster using a mastermind group, I want to first explain the definition of a “mastermind”
It was originally an 8 volume book about the 16 key principles that are present in all successful people.
The book talks about people who had to start out from nothing and became extremely successful in their field of work.
The book was originally commissioned by Andrew Carnegie and written by Napoleon Hill back in the early 1900’s in America.
It is considered to be the greatest book ever written about the indisputable principles of success and how to achieve it.
Although the book states that it has 16 laws of success, there actually 17 laws presented altogether.
The “17th law” in the book talks about a “mastermind” group which is a group of like minded individuals getting together to help each other achieve the same goal.
Napoleon Hill stated in his monumental book that ALL successful people belong to some type of mastermind group because the power of the conscious and unconscious mind is far more powerful than any one individual alone.
Take a good look around you, it is rare that successful people in any field try to do things alone.
This is why I highly recommend that you either join or create a mastermind group of speed athletes when you are training to run faster.
Using a mastermind group is one of the most powerful ways to run faster so let’s take a closer look at how to run better and faster by learning how to join or create an effective mastermind group.
Training To Run Faster By “JOINING” A Mastermind Group
If you have never been in any type of speed training mastermind group before, the easiest way to benefit from it is to join one.
Building a mastermind group to learn how to run better and faster can take some time so you might just want to consider just joining one and save yourself a lot of hassle.
Here are several places where you can find some good mastermind groups for your workouts to run faster.
1. Meetup.com – This is probably the easiest place to join a mastermind group for runners.
There are always a wide variety of athletic clubs and meetups in a wide variety of sports on Meetup.com.
You will always find people learning how to run a faster mile, run a faster 5k, etc., while others are just simply meeting up to learn how to run faster in soccer or how to run faster in football.
I like joining the meetup groups on Meetup.com for my mastermind groups because they are always FREE to join and you can always quit at any time. There are no obligations or membership fees unless you guys agree to pitch in and rent a certain training facility to do your speed training.
It is also a great place to be social and meet up with other people who are interested in the same type of training.
The only disadvantage of Meetup.com is that you may not always find a specialize and focused group of people looking to do the same type of training that you want to do.
I recommend you first meet up and network with the people in various running meet ups first. Afterwards, I would then start sharing some of the speed training “secrets” that I have share with you on this site.
2. Craigslist.com – This is a really great place also to find other people interested in learning how to run better and faster.
The service is free and you can always submit a “sports specific” ad for the type of people you want joining your mastermind group.
The best thing about Craigslist is that it is totally free. The other good thing about Craigslist is that it is local so when you find people that are interested in training to run faster, you can actually meet up with them for training because you all are in the same town.
3. Local High Schools And Colleges – Another good place to join a speed training mastermind group is to take advantage of your area high schools and colleges. If you are currently in school, you can always find out the dedicated athletes who are willing to do extra training and join them in their workouts to run faster.
4. Athletic Social Clubs – I learned about athletic social clubs from a friend who was not looking for tips to run faster but to find and meet girls!
After some careful research, I found out that these athletic social clubs are very popular in almost every major city.
There are several things I like about athletic social clubs that will assist in your training to run faster:
- They meet up on a weekly basis at a designated place which allows your workouts to run faster to be consistent.
- The people in athletic social clubs are typically former high school or college athletes so you are not training with beginners.
- The clubs tend to rotate among the major sports throughout the year which allows for cross training.
- They have scheduled games nearly every week which allows you to apply what you have learned.
- Last of all, they are a very fun group to have for a speed training mastermind group.
5. Local Community Sports Teams – You can always look online for local community flag football teams, hockey teams, basketball teams, softball teams, etc. and join them during their practices.
6. Church Sponsored Athletic Teams – Many mid to large size churches will normally sponsor their own sports team to represent their church, raise money for charity events, etc. You can look into joining their churches and practice your speed training with the team.
7. Gym Sponsored Sports Teams – When I worked as the Lead Personal Trainer at the biggest Gold’s Gym in the city of Austin which is located in the state of Texas, our gym would normally sponsor marathon, triathlon, and other running events for charity groups to fight cancer, substance abuse, promotional events, etc.
Gold’s Gym was not the only public gym that was doing this, 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, Lifetime Fitness, and even smaller private gyms were doing these types of promotional running events throughout the year.
Normally, there would be a sign up list and you can sign up and network with the other participants to do your workouts to run faster together.
The only disadvantage of joining these public gym sponsored events is that you normally have to be a member of their gym to participate.
As I mentioned earlier, there are many benefits to training to run faster with a mastermind group and the fastest way to get those benefits is to simply join an existing speed training mastermind group.
The benefits of joining an existing speed training mastermind group is that you don’t have to spend time building anything or bringing the people together or coming up with the exercises or workouts to run faster because it has already been established for you within each group.
The disadvantage of joining a pre-existing speed training mastermind group is that you don’t have control of what type of exercises or the type of workouts to run faster you will be doing.
Let’s take a look at how you can overcome the disadvantages of “joining” a speed training mastermind group by “creating” a speed training mastermind group that purely focused on training to run faster.
Training To Run Faster By “CREATING” A Mastermind Group
There are several advantages to creating your own speed training mastermind group:
- Your speed training to run faster will be more focused and specific to your sport.
- You have more control over the types of workouts to run faster that the group will be doing.
- You can constantly research and test different ways to run faster without offending anyone.
There are several places online and offline that will offer many folks looking to learn how to run better and faster that you can bring together to create your own speed training mastermind group:
1. Local High Schools And Colleges – Schools are always a great place to find people that are very interested and motivated in training to run faster. I recommend you start by recruiting athletes on your own sports team.
Afterwards, you can look into inviting the very serious players from the other sports to join in your speed training mastermind group.
After recruiting athletes from your own sport and then from other sports in your own school, you can also look into recruiting other serious athletes that you compete against in other schools or on opposing teams or rival teams.
At first glance, it does not make sense to train with your opponents or competitors but it is actually one of the best types of training you can do. In my opinion, nothing pushes you to run faster then having to compete against your own opponents.
Do not fear competition. Competition is good and will push you to train harder in your workouts to run faster.
2. Meetup.com – Once again Meetup.com is not just for joining a speed training mastermind group but to find like minded people that would be willing to get together with you for the sole purpose of training to run faster.
I recommend that you go through a pre-qualification process with everyone before you have them join your speed training mastermind group by specifically stating the goals and objectives in each of your workouts to run faster.
Do not be bashful or afraid to clearly state that you are only looking for serious people looking for ways to run faster.
3. Craigslist.com – Once again, Craig’s List is another good place to find people interested in training to run faster with you.
Keep in mind that you can use any of the places I have listed previously to find dedicated athletes to be a part of your speed training mastermind group.
Next, I want to give you some tips that will help your speed training mastermind so that it operates smoothly, there is no friction, and everyone contributes to helping each other run faster.
Tips To Run Faster Using A Mastermind Group
Here are some tips to run faster by using a speed training mastermind group effectively:
1. Establish Leadership – An effective mastermind group requires a good leader. I recommend that you select the person that is most willing to research new ways to run faster and share it with everyone. The leader will set the training location, time, place, set up the training equipment, etc. Do not let everyone in the group dictate what needs to be done. In my experience, this is very inefficient and rarely ever produces any long term effective results.
2. Be Consistent – Consistency is the key to success in any speed training mastermind group. No matter how effective your mastermind group may be, if there is no consistency in the meetup and the training, you will not get the most benefit out of the mastermind. I recommend that your workouts to run faster should be consistently at the same time and place so that everyone gets into a habit and know where to be and when to train.
3. Keep A Small Group Size – The most effective group size I have seen for people training to run faster is 4 people. You can go with more or less but I recommend you gather 4 serious athletes looking for ways to run faster and focus on the quality and consistency of training rather than just having a large quantity of people standing around goofing off and doing nothing. Four people is ideal because it gives everyone the right amount of rest in between the speed workouts on the field as well as the strength workouts in the weight room.
4. Avoid Externally Motivated People – Elite athletes don’t need to be told when to train because their motivation comes from within themselves, not from coaches or fellow athletes around them. These are the types of people you want in your mastermind group because they are “internally” motivated and will show up on time to train regardless if anyone is around to push them.
On the other hand there are athletes that will never amount to anything no matter how many tips to run faster they get simply because they are “externally” motivated and will always need someone to push them in order for them to show up and train. Obviously, you do not want to waste time with “externally” motivated people in your mastermind group.
5. Acknowledge & Reward Your Progress – Improving your speed is not an overnight task. It may take several weeks just to shave a tenth of a second off your speed. When this happens, it is important that you acknowledge and reward the accomplishments of anyone who has made a significant progress in speed. This acknowledgement and reward process will encourage and motivate everyone to train harder and not miss workouts.
Summary Of Ways To Run Faster
Using A Mastermind Group
In this section, I have shown you several different ways to run faster by using a mastermind group.
The concept of a mastermind group was first mentioned in the famous book, “The Law Of Success In 16 Lessons” by Napleon Hill.
A mastermind group is a group of like minded individuals working together to help each other achieve the same goals.
There are 2 basic ways to benefit from a speed training mastermind group.
You can either join an existing mastermind group or create your own.
The disadvantage of joining an pre-existing speed training mastermind group is that it may not be specific to your individual sport however, the advantage is that you can enjoy the benefits of the group training immediately.
If joining an existing speed training mastermind group is not for you, then I recommend you create your own so that you can train specifically for your sport.
I highly recommend that when you finish reading this section, decide immediately if you plan on joining an existing speed training mastermind group so that you can learn how to run better and faster or simply create your own group.
Either way, make sure you take massive action and implement what I have shared with you!