How Do I Run Faster With The Right Mindset?
If you are new to speed training, you may be asking yourself, “What does mindset have anything to do with how do I run faster?”
In other words, what does your mindset have anything to do with being able to run faster?
In this section I will answer your question of how do I run faster by showing you that the ability to run faster starts inside your mind in what I call your “mindset for speed”.
In this section on mindset, here is what you need to learn in order to develop a positive “speed mindset”:
- Mental Exercises To Run Faster
- Mental Visualizations Drills To Run Faster
- Training To Run Faster Using A Mastermind Group
I will give you a quick summary of each topic and will go into extensive detail afterwards.
A Student Once Asked, “How Do I Run Faster?”
And Set Out To Break A World Record
Your mindset matters tremendously because it doesn’t matter if I show you the greatest exercises to run faster or the most awesome speed drills to run faster, if you don’t have the right mindset for speed, you will never be able to run faster.
I want to share a quick story with you about a medical student who discovered the answers to, “How do I run faster?” and became the first human being to run a mile in less than 4 minutes.
Before 1954, there were many athletes, trainers, doctors, sports professionals, etc. who believed that a human could not run a mile in less than 4 minutes.
These so called “professionals” and “experts” believed that if you tried to run a mile in less than 4 minutes, you would suffer the following symptoms, including:
- The human heart would explode.
- Your body would overheat.
- Your lungs would collapse.
- You would rip your muscles.
- You would shit your pants.
- Your muscles would go into convulsions and spasms.
- And a bunch of other nonsense.
Despite everyone’s negative mindset about breaking the 4 minute mile barrier, a lone, 25 year old, medical student by the name of Roger Bannister came along and smashed the 4 minute mile barrier and became the first human being to ever run a mile in less than 4 minutes… while training less than everyone else!
Here is the video of this momentous occasion in speed history:
How was this world record made possible you may ask?
It all boils down to having the right mindset to run faster. This mindset to run faster is what I call your “speed mindset“.
Roger Bannister had the right speed mindset to set world class records and so he set forth to develop exercises to run faster and eventually set the world record in the 4 minute mile.
“If you believe you CAN run faster, you are right!
If you believe you CAN NOT run faster, you are still right!”
– Personal Trainer Tai
On the other hand, the folks who did not believe breaking a 4 minute mile was possible never bothered to ask themselves, how do I run faster or look for ways to run faster!
This is why having the right speed mindset is so important to running faster and that is why I focus on getting you the right speed mindset first before I spend time showing the speed drills to run faster.
Now that you understand the importance of having the right speed mindset, let’s take a closer look at what constitutes your “speed mindset” before you start learning how to run better and faster…
Your Personal Beliefs About Training To Run Faster
When I talk about developing a speed mindset, I’m referring to the beliefs you have about your ability to run faster.
Here are some NEGATIVE beliefs that will NEVER help you run faster:
- I’m not born to run fast.
- I can never run faster than my opponents.
- I will never run a faster mile.
- I will never make it on the team because I’m too slow.
- I don’t think any exercises to run faster will help me.
- I’m too White to run fast.
- I’m Asian so I’m not suppose to run fast.
- I don’t think any speed drills to run faster will increase my speed.
- My legs are too weak and short to run fast.
- There are no ways to run faster for an ungifted athlete like myself.
- I don’t have an badass Speed Training Expert like Personal Trainer Tai to train me.
- I don’t have time to train to run faster.
- I don’t need any tips to run faster because they won’t help increase my speed.
- No amount of training to run faster will benefit me.
- I can’t run fast because my knees (back, hips, etc.) hurts.
These negative beliefs DO NOT help make you run faster nor do they help open your mind to finding answers to the question of, “How do I run faster?”, because they do not encourage you to use your full genetic potential or look for alternative possibilities.
On the other hand, here are some POSITIVE beliefs that will ALWAYS help you run faster:
- I know I can run faster once I do the right exercises to run faster.
- I will definitely run faster if I keep doing my speed drills to run faster.
- I will not give up on training to run faster.
- I will constantly search for the best tips to run faster.
- I will constantly workout to run faster and not miss a single workout.
- I will only surround myself with serious people who are also looking for ways to run faster.
- I will constantly push myself and always ask, “What can I do to run faster?”
- I will work hard to run a faster mile.
- I will train smart to run a faster 5k marathon.
- I will train diligently to run a faster 40 yard dash.
- I will be persistent at doing the speed drills to run faster in track.
- I will consistently do the exercises to run faster for football.
- I will only focus on proven exercises to run faster and not waste time on unproven exercises.
As you can see, developing a positive speed mindset is critical to improving your running speed because it encourages you to push yourself, train harder and maximize your genetic potential.
Mental Exercises To Run Faster
If you constantly ask yourself, “How do I run faster?” than your mind will be constantly looking for ways to run faster and the “universe” will lead you to the type of training to run faster that you are searching for.
However, if you believe that you CAN NOT run faster, you are RIGHT!
If you believe that you CAN run faster, you are also RIGHT!
Which mindset would you prefer?
The mindset that encourages you to push yourself to trainer harder and smarter to run faster or the mindset that encourages you to quit and give up on training to run faster?
As I mentioned earlier, the people that believed a human being could not run a mile in less than 4 minutes were right… and that’s why they didn’t do it.
“Your MENTALITY about speed, creates your REALITY about speed.”
— Personal Trainer Tai
Meanwhile, Roger Bannister came along and believed that running a mile in less than 4 minutes was possible, and guess what?
He was also “right” and that’s why he went on to set the world record in the 4 minute mile and not someone else.
I believe the answers are very clear and obvious if you have ever asked yourself the question of, “How do I run faster?” or have been constantly searching for ways to run faster, that it is important you develop a positive speed mindset.
Mental Speed Drills To Run Faster
Now that you have a basic understanding of the importance of having a positive speed mindset, let’s take a closer and detailed look at 3 ways to to run faster by reprogramming your mind for speed..
Here are some mental speed drills to run faster that you can practice at home and provide you with some of the answers to your question of how do I run faster:
- A Powerful Mental Exercise To Run Faster
- Mental Visualization Drills To Run Faster
- Training To Run Faster Using A Mastermind Group